MINISTERIAL ORDER NO. MSD:014/21
I, Ric McIver, Minister of Municipal Affairs, pursuant to Section 130.1(b) of the Municipal Government Act and Section 6 of the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA), make the following order:
1. That a vote be held in the Village of Hythe to determine electors’ opinion on the viability options.
2. That a vote be held between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. on March 30, 2021, and 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on March 31, 2021, at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #93 Hythe, 9818 – 100th Avenue, Hythe, AB T0H 2C0.
3. That the wording on the ballot be as follows:
Based on the findings of the Village of Hythe viability review, which one of the two options below do you support for the future of Hythe? (select one only)
Option 1. The Village of Hythe remains a village and implements changes to achieve viability.
Option 2. Dissolve the Village of Hythe and Hythe becomes a hamlet in the County of Grande Prairie.
4. That special ballots be provided, in accordance with Section 77.1(1)(a) and (b) of the LAEA, by application to the Returning Officer in writing, by telephone, or by email.
5. That an elector who is unable to vote at the voting station on election day because of physical disability or absence from the local jurisdiction may apply to vote by special ballot.
6. That the special ballots must be received by the returning officer no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 29, 2021.
7. That the returning officer may modify Form 24, Special Ballot Voting Instructions (Local Authorities Election Forms Regulation), to reflect the time and date established in clause 6 of this Order.
8. That the Notice of Vote (Form 8) of the Local Authorities Election Forms Regulation be modified to include notice of the special ballot.
9. That Marnie Lee be appointed as the returning officer.
10. That Katie Neufeld is appointed as the first substitute returning officer, and Lucien Cloutier is appointed as the second substitute returning officer, in the event that Marnie Lee becomes incapable of carrying out the duties of the returning officer.
11. That in the event of a change in the Government of Alberta COVID-19 relaunch status, or a declaration of a public health emergency, the returning officer may recommend to the Minister that the vote of electors be postponed.
Dated at Edmonton, Alberta, this 18th day of February, 2021.
Minister of Municipal Affairs