The Lieutenant Governor in Council makes the Rebate Authorization Regulation set out in the attached Appendix.
Heating Oil and Propane Rebate Act
REBATE AUTHORIZATION REGULATION
Table of Contents
2 Rebate authorization
3 Time of application
4 Amount of rebate
6 Coming into force
1 In this Regulation, “purchase” means the purchase of heating oil or propane for residential, commercial or industrial heating purposes in Alberta.
2 The Minister is authorized to provide a rebate for a purchase in accordance with section 4 if
(a) the purchase was made before April 1, 2011, and
(b) the Minister receives an application for the rebate in accordance with section 3.
Time of application
3(1) An application for a rebate must be made in the form and manner required by the Minister.
(2) An application for a rebate must be received by the Minister within one year of the date of the purchase.
(3) Despite subsection (2), the Minister may extend the time for application if the Minister considers that there are extenuating circumstances.
(4) The application must include an original or certified copy of the invoice for the purchase.
(5) Despite subsection (4), the Minister may accept alternate evidence of the purchase.
Amount of rebate
4(1) A rebate of 25% of the per litre price as determined by the Minister may be provided in each calendar year for the purchase of
(a) heating oil to a maximum of 12 275 litres,
(b) propane to a maximum of 18 185 litres, or
(c) heating oil and propane to a maximum volume equivalent to 450 gigajoules of natural gas.
(2) The rebate must be reduced by the amount of an allowance received in respect of that purchase under the Fuel Tax Act.
(3) In this section, 1 gigajoule of natural gas is equivalent to 26 litres of heating oil or 39 litres of propane.
5 For the purpose of ensuring that this Regulation is reviewed for ongoing relevancy and necessity, with the option that it may be repassed in its present or an amended form following a review, this Regulation expires on April 1, 2014.
Coming into force
6 This Regulation comes into force on the coming into force of the Heating Oil and Propane Rebate Act.